Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Sister's Keeper = awesome

Louise: be warned as this goes into the plotline of the novel lol. Therefore don't read. Read the novel.
Anyone else who may possibly read this blog (hahahahahaha): Spoiler alert! lol. Basically don't read if you haven't seen 'My Sister's Keeper'. Which you should go do. Right now. I'll wait.

My Sister's Keeper. I have nothing to say but Oh. My. Gosh.

I lied. I have plenty more to say.

It was an absolutely fantastic movie. In many respects it differed from the book, but for once that didn't diminish the quality of the film. It stayed true to the feel of the novel, so we were all still left with tears continuously running down our cheeks.

It's weird, because it was such an amazing book we were completely expecting the movie to be crap. We were bitching about it like a month before hand, I can't believe Cameron Diaz is Sara! I don't like the girl they chose to play Anna! If they make any changes to the book I'm gonna kill someone!

So I think it's pretty safe to say that we were completely shocked by the pure awesomeness of the movie.

The most obvious and dramatic change would have to be that Kate dies, instead of Anna. Instead of completely ruining the movie, it just feels right. Anna dying was right for the novel, Kate dying was right for the movie. It just would not have worked if the original ending had been kept. And it still dealt with all the issues which the novel raised, which was the most important thing.

Jesse was also much less of a delinquent in the movie, whereas in the novel he was an arsonist. In the movie, when they said that 'Jesse turned his life around', it really doesn't make all too much sense, as his delinquent behaviour was fairly minimal at best. Did anyone else feel that?

I think Taylor also had a more prominent role in the movie. And I don't think Kate's suicidal/emo urges were in the novel; or am I mistaken? But that was all so sweet, painful, but sweet.

And Cameron Diaz was briliant! I originally thought they should have chosen a less famous actress for the role, as sometimes you can look at a character and think, that's Cameron Diaz, instead of, that's Sara, you know? But she was really really really good.

I pretty much cried the whole way through. I just found out that the director was also the director for the Notebook, which probably explains why it's the only movie that can make me cry more than the Notebook.

I cannot think of a movie I enjoyed more, not even the Notebook or Moulin Rouge. :O

Sorry about all that, I just had to get it off my chest. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment